Friday, September 18, 2009

Update

# 3 is done. Finally got a solution for the pain. Stay stoned for 2 days. Hey, whatever works. I'm half way done. I feel like I know what to expect and that helps. And my infection is cleared up. No more plastic surgeon for TWO MONTHS! But, I'll miss the girls in the office. I'm meeting them for lunch the day after my next treatment.

My current side effects are lack of hair and exhaustion. The lack of hair? Getting used to it. I still have a good bit on my head. Not enough to go out in public. But enough that I have some fuzz. When this is all done, I'll go have it shaved off so it can all grow back in at the same time. And no more is falling out right now. So I guess I'll get to keep this? But hair everywhere else... still have my eyebrows, still have my lashes. But if it has been shaved or plucked, it isn't growing back. And that's OK. Too bad I couldn't take advantage of not needing to shave the bikini line - becasue it went bald faster than my head. Oh well.

The real problem right now is exhaustion. I NEVER know when it's going to hit. Tuesday I was fine. Wednesday (afternoon) and Thursday (all day)? Could barely move or keep my eyes open. Today (Friday) I feel just about normal. And Evan is having company tomorrow night. Who knows what that will bring? At least it's a boy that Evan gets along with - never have any trouble out of them!

I've been trying to remind myself every day I have something to be thankful for. My latest? Health insurance. Wow. Getting the statements of payment from the insurance company are an eye-opener. The cost that gets me the most is the shot I get the day after a treatment that boosts my blood count - forces the bone marrow to produce. One shot. $8,300. Fuck. You expect the chemo to have a high price tag. It requires a drip. Nurses to administer, doctors to monitor. But one shot? A jab with a tiny needle? But it does the job. Prevents infection, which could be more expensive than the shot if a hospital stay is required. But wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment